The next and final stage of the build was the decorative leaf pieces on the sides of the crossguard.
I needed two large pieces that curve outwards and eight (2x4) smaller
pieces that curve inwards. I also needed 2 identical decorative pieces
for the pommel I figured that the best thing to do was to cast as many
of them as possible.
I didn't really want to go to the trouble of a two-part mold for the
pieces - particularly as I was getting low on rubber and I was almost
maxed out on budget. So, I decided that I could get away with firstly
hand-sculpting the two larger pieces out of Milliput:
Concerned that it would be quite brittle and fragile, I reinforced them
with thick wire, figuring that if they did snap, at least they'd stay
where they are for later repair.
Next I sculpted the other pieces from plasticene. I decided that as long
as I curved the outer surface, the inner one could remain flat (even if
I had to sand in a curve later) meaning that I could cast them in a
1-piece bed mold:
I then Araldited them in place and used car body filler to blend them into the crossguard:
The decorative piece for the pommel I did in two halves so that I could
cast them flat and then 'bend' them slightly over the curve of the
pommel once they were fitted:
For the collar I rolled out milliput to the right thickness and then araldited it in place and blended it using car body filler.
The sword was now fully assembled. It required some work to tidy up all the rough edges but it was nearly ready to paint.